Tuesday, September 10, 2013

A cop out on Bajan culture

The Barbados I grew up in and the Barbados I know now seem like two disparate entities.

Growing up in the 80s and 90s had an innocent simplicity that I haven't witnessed in far too long. I remember greeting every adult I met on the way home from school. These days I'm seeing small children as young as 9 years old brazenly cursing adults who caution them on the dangers of riding their bicycles without brakes.

It makes me remember my youth much more vividly. Older people used to tell me then that "young people these days are so different. Don't know how to make dem own kites or toys." In my youth I dismissed it as just idle rubbish; times would change. Why try to keep us trapped in the past?

As we move on from the past, I can't help but to think that too we've moved on too much and a lot of our precious culture has been eroded by pop culture. And suddenly, I'm wishing that we could go back to the way things were.

Why? Because last night it was brought to my attention that another Barbadian felt that my book was a cop out. They believed that it took such a unique cultural angle but failed to make it truly memorable.

To them I apologize. I can understand feeling such strong ownership of local culture. I actually wrote a book that revolved around it, so trust me, I know.

Maybe they're right. But I won't lie; I do have intentions on focusing more rigidly on uniquely Barbadian books. But that's not what "The Shadow Guardian" was meant to be about. "The Shadow Guardian" is a metaphor for an emotional journey I have taken. It's about love, loss and ultimately, hope. Because without hope, what do we have?

I want other young people to be able to find something that relates to them. Something fresh and dynamic that makes them feel like they can get past all of the hurdles that life throws at them.
Sometimes life feels harder than it should. There has been a recent spate of suicides here in Barbados and I feel like "The Shadow Guardian" can be a great lesson to anyone who is facing what seem like insurmountable difficulties. Maybe if we all had a way to find our inner strength and get through the tough times, we would become less indifferent and less willing to hurt each other.

Maybe then it could once again become the Barbados I yearn for. The Barbados I love always.


Callie

No comments:

Post a Comment