Thursday, October 31, 2013

Why am I such a glutton for punishment?

Every now and I again I get some bright ideas. 

There was the time when I wanted to grow my own organic vegetables. I got sunburned, created a Mecca for all kinds of veggie devouring bugs and ended up wih a grand total of 5 cherry tomatoes, half of a head of lettuce and a very sad looking carrot that only a head strong gardener could love. 

Let's not talk about the time I made my own soap from scratch. Against opposition from every one else in my life I surged ahead, confident that I could eschew conventional cleansing tools. How did it turn out? Not so good; now I buy Dove in bulk.

If you've read The Shadow Guardian, it will become pretty clear who's the inspiration for Tillie's character. 

It's not that I can't commit to anything. It's just that I have all of these grand plans that tend not to pan out sometimes. 

And it's for precisely this reason that I know that deep down that I love writing. No matter what pitfalls I've met since I started, I remain steadfast in my efforts to grow. I could get really dramatic and pledge that by the sweat of my brow that I'll become a best-selling author, but I hardly think that's my focus. 

I just want to write good books that connect with people. I just want to talk about my culture and throw in some details about my life for colour to make it exciting. 

There is something that I've learned in all of my little adventures: if it feels right then it probably is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment